Jeff Jarvis gave this presentation at CUNY on the new architecture of media that is quite fascinating [hat tip to Robin Hamman]. He concludes by sharing a list of new opportunities available in the world of media, with some elaboration of my own:
- Curator - the ability to edit the world. This is a very versatile title, I think it applies to communities as well. We discussed how we need editors in new media.
- Collaborative, networked, pro-am reporting - a result of the hyper-connected journalist. New media does influence journalists.
- Mobilizer of the public to report - a result of the connected citizen. We talked about citizen journalism and responsibility.
- Networks as an opportunity to support journalism - new media will re-imagine journalism, we just do not know how and when yet.
- Do what we do best, link to the rest - specialized, niche work. We are seeing that in new media publications like GigaOM.
- Being in any and all media - there is a future in we media.
- Live (the mojo) - new media is about participation.
- Data as news - this is intriguing, especially in view of the fact that digital marketing is also moving in that direction, so would this be purely analysis?