[Leading@Google, 48:43 and worth every minute of it] I wrote about Dr. Rao in the past. I just came across this video of Dr. Srikumar Rao at Google's Mountain View, CA headquarters to discuss his book, Are You Ready to Succeed? Unconventional Strategies to Achieving Personal Mastery in Business and Life, on May 6, 2008.
Rao outlines how:
- our perception of reality shapes everything;
- the mental chatter we have in our heads drives decision-making;
- we don't recognize that we have mental models that tell us "this is the way the world works," which in fact makes the world work that way for us;
- we are all motivated by self-interest, always, although some of us come from an 'other-centered' place while others from a 'me-centered' view;
- we always create our job description to match our skills in our job.
The book is about finding joy in all aspects of our life. That is why it needs an investment of a good deal of time and emotional energy. It is meant to bring about profound change and that will only happen if you do the exercises. If you spend some time on the Amazon link here, you will find the testimonials of people who have experienced the difference in themselves.
An observation about the gift Google has given us with their series AtGoogle Talks, which are available on YouTube - leading brands lead.