I just completed some research and an a POV on the benefits of integrating Google+ for a client and had good fun watching a couple of hangouts by brands. Creative teams and brand managers are starting to produce some very interesting conversations.
It was later in the day when I finished and while I had my Google account open, I ran a quick search for a Hangout on commuity management and found the recording of a hangout I did about two years ago with Lynette Young for her series of Women of Google Plus.
The video is still available so I posted it here [56:31]. At a high level, I cover several still timely topics, in no particular order:
- the history of my involvement with Fast Company
- how to go about building a community from the ground up, including the opeational aspects (the "company" part)
- finding and keeping volunteers (including giving back to them in growth and resources)
- benefits of community engagement for brands
- how I used the content to balance audience segments at events (over seven years we organized and offered more than 100 free events in the greater Philadelphia are)
- my philosophy on networking
- the importance of corporate culture
- and the genesis of "Conversation Agent", how I came up with the idea, and what it means (the original tagline was: connecting ideas and people, how talk can change our lives)
As I say in the end of the video, the idea and main goal of this site and the content I share is to help you put the knowledge you already have to good use. It was an inspired, unedited, and quite charming (if I may say so) conversation in community-building mode. I quite enjoyed watching it again, I hope you will find it useful.
And I realized I do laugh quite a bit. Lynette was a very gracious host and I was lucky to be part of the series.
Valeria is an experienced listener. She designs service and product experiences to help businesses rediscover the value of promises and its effects on relationships and culture. She is also frequent speaker at conferences and companies on a variety of topics. Book her to speak here.